[Asterisk-Users] Is asterisk that unstable ????

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Dec 30 07:43:14 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 08:52 -0500, Greg - Cirelle Enterprises wrote:
> from voip-info wiki
>

> Asterisk automatic daily restart
>
> To automatically restart Asterisk you can add something like this to cron
>
> # Restart Asterisk PBX once a day to prevent any problems from piling up
> 10 7 * * * root /usr/sbin/asterisk -rx "restart now" >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> or
>
> 10 7 * * * root /usr/sbin/asterisk -r -x "restart gracefully" >/dev/null 2>&1
>

> Does this software have substantial problems that one would have to do this???

There may be certain days when you check asterisk from the -HEAD branch
that might be less stable than other days.

The comments above seem to come from a certain type of "admin"
personality. That personality is rampant in MS Windows shops and in some
big iron shops.

Right now this is the uptime from my main PBX.
phone*CLI> show uptime
System uptime: 21 weeks, 21 hours, 16 minutes, 50 seconds
Last reload: 1 week, 1 day, 15 hours, 53 minutes, 40 seconds

As of this message, we have run about 7200 calls this month alone, or
about 250 calls average per day right now.

For November and December minus 2 days, 15300 calls or about 259 calls a
day average.

I don't have problems.