[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk, she no hang uppa the phone!

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Wed Dec 29 15:32:40 MST 2004

I've been working on the local side of asterisk for several days, and I have
the in-house dial plan pretty well corn fingered to my satisfaction.

Today I began working on the other side to make asterisk do things like place
an outgoing call to PSTN and route an incoming call from PSTN.

I'm using a TDM11B with a single fxs and a single fxo.  My analog handset is
plugged into the port that gives me the dailtone (stil can't keep it straight
if that's fxo or fxs, but I get a dialtone and can call extensions corn
fingered in extensions.conf)

But when I dial 9NXXXXXX I see this on the console:

    -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/1-1'
    -- Called 4/2234791
    -- Zap/4-1 answered Zap/1-1
    -- Attempting native bridge of Zap/1-1 and Zap/4-1

After several moments I hear a crackly version of the "Hey Stoopid!  You left
the phone off the hook!"  (Anybody know what that signal is really called?
the one that beeps real fast and real loud?) So I hang up the handset and I
see:

    -- Hungup 'Zap/4-1'
    -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'

But if I pick up another handset on the same line that asterisk is plugged
into, I still hear the "Hey Stoopid!" signal.

So then I unplug asterisk, wait a moment, check that the dialtone has
returned, plug 'er back up and dail in from my cell phone ...

And she no pick uppa the phone!

And no information is recorded on the console.

I think maybe I have defined signalling improperly in zapata.conf (fxs_ks),
but I dunno where I can get more info on the proper signalling.

Here's [channels] from zapata.conf:

context=default
switchtype=national
signalling=fxo_ks
channel=1		; this is the one I plug my handset into
signalling=fxs_ks
channel=4		; this is the line from the wall

; the rest I just left from the installation conf file.  As I read through it
; I realize that I don't have call waiting, callerid, threewaycalling or any
; of that crap ... but I DO use tone dialing, not pulse ... AND I've slept at
; Holiday Inn!

rxwink=300
usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=yes
usecallingpres=yes
callwaitingcallerid=yes
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
cancallforward=yes
callreturn=yes
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
rxgain=0.0
txgain=0.0
group=1
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1
immediate=no

The "Hey Stoopid!" signal tells me asterisk knows how to bridge the outgoing
call, (my corfigerrations notwithstanding) , and I can deal with sound
quality later.  But I don't get why she don't actually dial out, but instead
just looks at the phone line until it hollers at 'er.

And why she no answer the incoming call?

TIA!

lane