[Asterisk-Users] Music instead of Tunes

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Wed Dec 29 13:19:33 MST 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Paul Crick wrote:

> > So we could provide caller position announcements
> > without the callers actually incurring charges?
> > Has anybody tried this (in the UK)?
> Maybe.. but probably not..
>
> In the UK (and most European countries), the ACCEPT message triggers
> generation of ringback tone at the calling party's exchange (central
> office). This is as opposed to the North American way of doing things where
> the ACCEPT message opens up a one way speech path from the called party to
> the calling party (originally for providing inband call progress tones I
> believe). Also, there's a timer on how long you can be in that state
> without issuing an ANSWER and thus tripping answer supervision/billing
> commencement.

Perhaps UK, but not the European (EuroISDN) way.

ACCEPT would be sent when the call is _answered_. PROGRESS / PROCEEDING is
sent when the call setup is received by the terinating pbx. If in band
progress is indicated most originating switches will open the reverse
audio path.

This does work in Sweden and I have seen cmments to that effect from
Germany as well. Check with your local PSTN provider for their isdn
implementatin description.

Peter