[Asterisk-Users] Music instead of Tunes

Paul Crick web-asterisk-users at ivrl.com
Wed Dec 29 11:32:25 MST 2004

> So we could provide caller position announcements
> without the callers actually incurring charges?
> Has anybody tried this (in the UK)?
Maybe.. but probably not..

In the UK (and most European countries), the ACCEPT message triggers
generation of ringback tone at the calling party's exchange (central
office). This is as opposed to the North American way of doing things where
the ACCEPT message opens up a one way speech path from the called party to
the calling party (originally for providing inband call progress tones I
believe). Also, there's a timer on how long you can be in that state
without issuing an ANSWER and thus tripping answer supervision/billing
commencement.

I think technically it IS possible to get UK kit to work in the US fashion,
but you have to talk to a switch tech that knows what he's doing, and of
course you may get bitten with the "Yeah, it's doable, but we don't have
that software feature pack installed on our switch" line.

Paul