[Asterisk-Users] Hardware opinions?

Dorn Hetzel asterisk-users at dorn.hetzel.org
Wed Dec 29 07:38:26 MST 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 11:37:42PM -0600, Me wrote:
> > What sort of chipset is your SATA controller interface?  Intel
> > ICH6R?
>
> Adaptec ICH5R SATA controller according to SuperMicro which makes the Mobo.
> The board has an Intel® E7501 main chipset.

That should probably work.  You may need to reconfigure your kernel,
or maybe not.  I can't say for Fedora.

run "make menuconfig", go into "Device Drivers", then into
"SCSI Device Support" (yes, that's where the good SATA stuff
hides), then into "SCSI low-level drivers" (at the bottom),
where you will find a section that starts with
"Serial ATA (SATA) Support".

I am using "AHCI SATA Support", which is very nice, but
depends on your motherboard bios having an AHCI mode for
the SATA disks.  [if you can use this mode, I highly
recommend it, as the performance is shockingly good]

If you don't have AHCI, the "Intel PIIX/ICH support"
may work for you.  There are also drivers from various
other flavors of motherboard controllers, but I
haven't fooled with them.

If the support you need is already built in your kernel,
then you may not need to rebuild it.

I recommend building the relevant drivers hard into
the kernel (not loading them as modules) since you're
going to need them all the time anyway.  [I may be
clueless on that, but it works for me :) ]

Happy Holidays!

-Dorn