[Asterisk-Users] ZtDummy vs Hardware

Jean-Michel Hiver hiver.j at wanadoo.fr
Tue Dec 28 14:09:20 MST 2004

>I would seriously doubt that you can actually squeeze 12 channels through
>that dsl and obtain anything reasonable for quality, regardless of which
>asterisk codec you choose. But, it certainly would not be that hard to
>test it and validate assumptions.

It would be wiser to know that it has a good chance of working rather
than "let's do it anyway" :-) I was wondering if anybody on the list has
similar experience with lots of channels / little bandwith / IAX trunking.

>If that dsl is used for anything else (including hackers/scanners hitting
>the IP associated with the circuit), quality will vary. Don't forget to
>add the IP packet overhead to the codec bandwidth estimates.

Of course if somebody starts to flood the pipe with bogus traffic, sound
will be garbage... but then again it could be true with any kind of
public internet connection. It's just that bigger pipes are harder to
flood :-/

For the IP/UDP overhead, isn't it something IAX2 trunking is supposed to
be good for?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.