[Asterisk-Users] ZtDummy vs Hardware

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Dec 28 09:44:22 MST 2004

> I was wondering what could be pros and cons of ztdummy vs proper timer
> device (i.e. X100P).
>
> I am going to set up an asterisk server in europe (to do trunking, to
> save bandwith) and I was wondering if it'll be OK to  get it going with
> ztdummy.
>
> Furthermore, I have only a 1024/256kbps PPPOE DSL link and I need to
> squeeze 12 channels through, I was wondering which codec would be
> suitable for this? Is g.729a going to be indispensable or can I get away
> with something like GSM?

I would seriously doubt that you can actually squeeze 12 channels through
that dsl and obtain anything reasonable for quality, regardless of which
asterisk codec you choose. But, it certainly would not be that hard to
test it and validate assumptions.

If that dsl is used for anything else (including hackers/scanners hitting
the IP associated with the circuit), quality will vary. Don't forget to
add the IP packet overhead to the codec bandwidth estimates.