[Asterisk-Users] how to debug frame slips?

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Tue Dec 28 06:13:14 MST 2004

Joe Presto wrote:
> Mike, thanks so much.. here are the results - unfortunately, not even a new
> build on a new system is solving this issue.
>
>>Check 'vmstat 1'.  With a "quiet" system you should see mostly 100% idle
>>time.  How many interrupts are you seeing per one second interval?  It
>>should be +/- 1000 for the system timer and +/- 1000 for each Digium card.>
>

> * confirmed.. about 1100 interrupts per sec

Shouldn't you be seeing 1000 interrupts/s from the rtc?  And then
another 1000/s from the TDM card?  Do 'modprobe -r wcfxo' and wcfxs
(turn-off the TDM card) and check the interrupt count.

>>Look at the vmstat output and check for system (not user) spikes every
>>three seconds.  If you have spikes then 'modprobe -r wcfxs'--if no more
>>spikes then get a T-1 card and channel bank and try it there.
>

> * here's sample output:
> procs                      memory      swap          io     system
> cpu
>  r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in    cs us sy wa
> id
> 4  0      0  56020  12224 137968    0    0     0     0 1114   173  0  0  0
> 100
>
> there appears to be a tiny spike every 5 secs or so.  I can't stop wcfxs
> without stopping asterisk.  The spikes stop after stopping asterisk/AMP.

No, I'm referring to spikes to +- 40% system (kernel) utilization every
3 sec.  I don't see these spikes in your output.

> Following is a log of my fax session.. perhaps there is something I'm
> missing?

Also, which libtiff are you using.  I'm using 3.7.1 and appears to work
ok with Fedora 3.  Steve Underwood says 3.6.1 has problems.

Check Steve's FAQ at opencall.org for additional gotchas.

Mike

--
Michael Welter