[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Lucent APX8100 Universal Gateway

James Taylor jltaylor at metrotel.net
Sun Dec 26 11:21:37 MST 2004

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 17:07:35 +0800, Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque.com>
wrote:

> we're evaluating the use of a Lucent APX8100 E3/SS7 to SIP gateway for
> use in conjunction with asterisk, serving something like 4000+ lines.
> does anyone have experience with the APX8100 and it's integration with
> SIP on asterisk ? does the APX8100 handle SS7<->SIP signalling well
> enough to be used ? any anecdotes would be well appreciated.

The APX8100 & the MAX TNT use the same cards for most functions and if
you'll notice, the manual for TAOS is the same for the TNT & APX.
It is my understanding that they provide "...softswitch intergration...",
and if you want full SS7 you'll need to attach an Excel in the mix.  I'll
look at the docs.  I run the MAX TNT's. I have a friend with some APX's,
I'll ask.

The APX/TNT uses IPDC to talk to a more intelligent SS7 device.
There's some a guy in Europe with a black box SS7, set-in-the-middle
solution, some of us have thought about sending some money, to get it
APX/TNT plug & play.

BTW, the APX does do up to 12 DS3's in one rack.

--
James Taylor
3505 Summerhll Road