[Asterisk-Users] What do I need to build up DID services?

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Fri Dec 24 23:12:23 MST 2004

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004, Ronald Wiplinger wrote:

> To complete my project, I would like to setup DIDs in several areas.
>
> What do I need to do that? Another Asterisk box or can I use gateways
> instead? Which hardware can I use? Who has experience?

You either set up your own points of presence, or buy service from
somebody who already has them set up. So you could install an * with a zap
card, a stand-alone spa-3000, or some other device to establish the POP
where you want it (and you'll need broadband there too), or you could just
buy the service from a VOIP carrier. The latter, IMHO, is better because
you won't have to deploy hardware all over. Deployed hardware requires a
place to live, somebody to feed it and provide TLC whenever necessary.
Usually it's better to keep hardware in as few places as possible to
simplify that task..

If you don't like the VOIP delivery, telcos for years have offered "market
expansion" lines which give you a number in a remote rate center which
automatically forwards to your real number. (funny thing is, when I talked
to Qwest about that a month ago, this forwarding service cost more than
regular residential phone service!)

Greg