[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk in parallel with PSTN [OT]

Christopher L. Wade clwade at sparco.com
Thu Dec 23 15:25:55 MST 2004

Dorn Hetzel wrote:
> I've got a configuration with PSTN line connected to FXO
> on TDM400P ringing through to a phone connected on a
> Sipura SPA-3000.  The phone *does* ring before the
> caller-id is available.  In fact, it shoes some
> alternate message like "waiting for caller id info"
> right after the first ring and then changes to
> the real caller-id after the 2nd ring.
>
> -Dorn

I've always wondered if certain IP (regardless of proto) phones could do
the same?  Basically initiate the call with fake callerid info and then
send an 'update' packet later to inform the phone of the new callerid?
Is this possible - even if it is only supported on certain phones?

If this is possible, then we could modify * to allow the dialplan to
(optionally) start before callerid is received and then update the
${CALLERID} variable(s) once the information is available.  There are
situations where this is VERY desirable (obviously this only applies to
POTS though).

Anyway, sorry for the OT post - this just struck a chord with me.

-Chris

--
Christopher L. Wade                     Unistar-Sparco Computers, Inc.
Senior Systems Administrator                            dba Sparco.com