[Asterisk-Users] Connect attempt rejected error message

Brian Wright bwright at boomerang.com
Thu Dec 23 01:00:38 MST 2004

Hello,

This is an odd one.  My brother has installed iaxcomm on his notebook.
He connects to the internet through a WiFi gateway (using DHCP).  So,
it's probably a one-way connection (and I think this may be part of the
problem).  Anyway, iaxcomm registers with the Asterisk server correctly
and I see the period refresh of the positive authentication.  He can
receive calls fine.  But, when he goes to place a call or do anything
with a command, I see the following:

Dec 22 23:14:21 NOTICE[22005]: chan_iax2.c:5405 socket_read: Rejected
connect attempt from XX.XX.XX.XX

I'm confused by this.  I thought that if you were authenticated, you
could send commands to the server.  Is this not the case?  Does the
server try to connect back to the client for verification and, failing
that, reject?  I've tried reading through the check_access() in
chan_iax2.c to determine the access rejection cause, but (after reading
the code) I realized quickly that I'd have to put Asterisk in debug mode
to figure it out.

I did notice that the other clients that were able to connect and send
dial commands after authenticatation which are using port 4569 (after
the IP).  My brother's computer authenticates using port 64015 (or some
high port) after the IP.  I don't know if this is related, but it seems
odd to me that if you can authenticate in to receive calls, then you
should also be able to place them.   Is there some kind of configuration
setting that gets around this?

Any help or experience is appreciated.

--
Brian Wright (bwright at boomerang.com)