[Asterisk-Users] Why use 'Answer'?

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower eric at fnords.org
Wed Dec 22 13:15:28 MST 2004

Rich Adamson wrote:
> That's an answer to the wrong question. See example below.
> Rephrased: Why do folks think they have to use Answer in the sequence
> when Playback (etc) is _not_ used?

Urban myth.  There is no reason to use answer for the example above.

People just repeat what they have been told or have heard (I've done
that myself too occasionally) and so incorrect information gets passed
around.

In fact using Answer could very well prevent the caller from hearing
ringing.  I don't know, I would have to look at a SIP debug.

In the example above the call will hangup if the destination is
unavailable OR busy.  You usually want to handle these events by looking
at the DIALSTATUS variable.  See the stdexten macro in
extensions.conf.sample.