[Asterisk-Users] chan_sip errors in CVS stable

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Dec 22 12:45:50 MST 2004

*** SIP Channel fixed in CVS stable
-----------------------------------
During a few days there's been a buggy SIP channel in CVS STABLE, but
not in the 1.0.3 release tarballs on the FTP server and mirrors. We have
  now removed the patch that was integrated by mistake so CVS should be
ok again. As far as I know, this was the first error introduced in
Asterisk STABLE since we forked into a stable and a development branch.

The Asterisk project has never before maintained a stable branch, so
that is a very good track record. We are now improving the communication
between developers and the maintainer of the stable source tree, Russel
Bryant, in order to try to make sure that this does not happen again.

*** Run production systems on released code
Please remember that almost every developer wants to develop new, fancy
code and add functionality. Maintaining an old code base, being very
restrictive in what you add, requires someone with a lot of integrity
and good routines. Russel is doing a wonderful job and is propably one
of the most important persons in the project right now, when we really
need a stable version of Asterisk for production use.

The best way for you to avoid this, is to run production systems on
releases, like 1.0.2 or 1.0.3. Before releasing a fixed version with a
version number we always make sure that there are no known bugs in there.

*** CVS HEAD is not an alternative
Do not jump to the CVS head in production, because there we are
introducing new code every day, some of it more risky than other parts.
There is simply no guarantee that that code base will do anything more
than fill up a large amount of your hard disk drive. The only guarantee
is that you will end up having to spend a lot of time testing the code
for us, reporting bugs and suggesting improvements. You are much
welcome, but make sure that you are doing this on a test system.

/Olle