[Asterisk-Users] gumstix

cwilmer at speakeasy.net cwilmer at speakeasy.net
Wed Dec 22 11:10:39 MST 2004

I am new to the list, and Asterisk itself, but I am currently planning to test a uCLibc build of Asterisk this weekend on a Gumstix.  I have two of them sitting in my bag next to me here in my office.

I am not currently sure how I will go about doing this.  The setup of Asterisk on it shouldn't be a problem at all provided I load everything from the MMC card rather than a flash filesystem due to the 4mb limit, 3.5mb or so once you have u-Boot installed.

The only possible issue I can see aside from Asterisk actually building properly is the USB networking.  I haven't done much USB Net related work, so I am unsure what the latency will be like.  I would assume the XScale processor itself will be fast enough on either the 200MHz or 400MHz versions of the card (I will test on one of each) for a single channel.

I still haven't figured out why I want to do this aside from the coolness factor, but I will give it a go this weekend and let you know how things pan out.

So far as the Gumstix themselves go, based on my experience with them so far, they are wonderful.  I have been looking at some of the other plug on modules that Waysmall is selling for them, and some of them really raise some interesting possibilities.  There is an AC97 module which might work really well with Asterisk, since it would give you an audio input and an audio output.  Plug in a headset to the Gumstix and find some way to dial, and you have a little VoIP phone.  External dial pad maybe?

   ~ C. Wilmer