[Asterisk-Users] Another Asterisk Certification? -- This time we might just Unionize

Race Vanderdecken asterisk at vanderdecken.com
Wed Dec 22 11:03:12 MST 2004

I, being one of the original Microsoft Certified guys, back then you
sent them $150 and you got the certificate and some logos (think 1980's
certification.)

In 1996 I was told by the company I was working for the certification
was needed if I was to keep my current salary.

What I saw was morons who had time to study for the tests, because they
could not code anyway, pass the test and get certified and allowed to
keep their pay grade.

I took two tests, got my pin and left for a better job with more money.

Certification works to show that the person can pass a test, not that
they can do anything in the real world.

"Corporate America" likes certifications as it provides them with a
comfort level and a box that can be checked off. I have never hired a
person based on being certified, I can tell if they can do the job or
not by interviewing them.

Real programmers just get things done anyway. Would you really want to
work at a place that required any kind of certification?

I agree that Digium class for $3000 are a good thing, they help people
come up to speed and help stop the confusion in the beginning. If
customer are asking for it then they should be allowed to buy it.

Certification stinks in the real world. In the world of corporations it
is necessary evil and part of the game when you sell to the
corporations.

Lets unionize all the programmers in the world so we can set rates and
standards and get the respect we deserve.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Unionizing programmers won't work for the same reason
women make only 70% of the wages men do. A woman will always undercut
another woman to get the job instead teaming together and holding out
for better wages. As the subcontinent programmers under cut the US
programmers, but in the end you get what you pay for in America.

Race "The Tyrant" Vanderdecken
"In the Land of the Blind, the One-eyed man is Elvis"