[Asterisk-Users] Dialplan help - Can dial any user but not thePSTN

Chad Brown chad.brown at identitymine.com
Wed Dec 22 00:40:14 MST 2004

Yes...Crystal.

Thanks Flynn

-----Original Message-----
From: el Flynn [mailto:el_flynn at lanvik-icu.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 10:31 PM
To: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Dialplan help - Can dial any user but not
thePSTN

Chad Brown wrote:
> Flynn,
>
> You are being patient with me and I appreciate that. Answer me this
one
> last question which is really the reason for starting this thread...
>
> Could the incoming caller you are defining turn around and place an
> outgoing call? This would be bad!

Technically they can, but it would depend on how you have your dialplan
configured. Which is why I always separate the incoming lines and
internal lines
into separate contexts.

> Let's use your example and assume that
> context [internal-extensions] can dial outbound. Wouldn't calls coming
> into 1000 be able to turn around and dial back out again using your
> configuration below?

A further example might help. Say your extensions.conf looked like:

[outgoing-calls]
exten => _9.,1,SetAccount(1000)
exten => _9.,2,Dial(Zap/1/${EXTEN:1},30)

[internal-extensions]
exten => 5000,1,Dial(IAX2/5000,30)   ; John Doe's extension
exten => 5001,1,Dial(SIP/5001,30)    ; Jane Doe's extension

[incoming]
include => internal-extensions
exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,2,Background(welcome-message)
exten => i,1,Playback(invalid-option)
exten => i,2,Hangup

[internal]
include => outgoing-calls
include => internal-extensions
exten => 8500,1,VoicemailMain

And say you've defined the incoming lines to hit the "incoming" context.
Here,
they only have access to listen to the welcome message, and they can
only dial
the numbers "5000" and "5001" which was included by virtue of the

include => internal-extensions

directive. If they enter anything else, then it will fall into the "i"
extension, where the "invalid-option" message would play and proceed to
hang up
the call.

By the same token, your internal extensions are defined to hit the
"internal"
context. Here, they can dial the numbers "5000", "5001", "8500" as well
as (for
example) "95555555555". They can dial "95555555555" by virtue of the

include => outgoing-calls

directive, which is not present in the "inbound" context.

See the difference?

Hope this helps!
Flynn