[Asterisk-Users] Questions about VOIP phones

Kobus Wolvaardt kobuswolf at diewereld.co.za
Tue Dec 21 22:59:41 MST 2004

hi,

> Is it sure, that you need on both offices * ???
> Maybe you are cheaper to install * only at one site.
> Maybe you add a 1-800 number instead of both sides PSTN

I dont know what 1-800 means or if we have an equivalent in South Africa,
but we have gov protected telecom monopoly (makes most options expensive).

> I would try to avoid to use any plain phones at all, since you limit for
> these phones some functions. While it is cheaper I would try to avoid
> it. It might be interesting to use 2 to 4 FXS to use them into an old
> PBX, till this PBX faces out.

No old PBX, I'm setting it up from scratch, which is nice. Unfortunately I
know nothing of these things and will have to learn really fast.

> I believe you only need one * and just a gateway at the other place.

I need phone lines at both offices and PBX at both offices.

Also: We dont have a static IP (Broadband in SA sucks! 512k capped to 3
gig with dynamic IP) will that be a problem hooking the two offices up?
How much voices can be carried on 512k (assuming it always runs at 512k)

I assume the hookup if two *'s are used will be with AIX.

Thanks,
Kobus

--
Produksiebestuurder