[Asterisk-Users] Small PBX to VoIP transition questions

asterisk-users at adamlewis.com asterisk-users at adamlewis.com
Tue Dec 21 11:54:56 MST 2004

This is for a small business (restaurant and catering).  We want to move
from POTS
to VoIP to save on the phone bill.  Currently we use four lines for
voice + one fax going into a Lucent Partner system PBX.

Right now I'm considering two alternatives, both powered by * and a
SIP/IAX wholesaler (any recommendations on that for someone who can do
LNP on DIDs in Boston, MA, USA area are gladly accepted).

Alternative One)
Use a Digium card in the * box to drive the PSTN lines going into the
Lucent system.  This is the simplest and cheapest alternative, as it
leaves all the current phone equipment in place.  From what I've read
I think it shouldn't be a problem to get incoming calls on the VoIP to
hunt through the FXS interfaces.

Alternative Two)
All VoIP: buy new phones (probably Cisco or Polycom IP phones), a PoE
switch and some ATAs.  My hesitations in this area (aside from the
cost) are mimicking the functionality of the partner system.  Because
this is a restaurant environment, there are only three phones that
will be used as "Office" phones -- the rest are floor phones.  In the
partner system these are the cheapest phones offered: 4 button, no
display.  On these floor phones, the four buttons are just used as
line buttons.  Incoming calls always ring all phones.  A manager can
answer a call on the floor, put it on hold and return to the office.
Incoming calls for employees are put on hold and the page feature is
used to let them know (i.e. "Bob, call for you on line three").  It
wouldn't really work to transfer the call to a specific extension,
since the workers move around and need to be able to pickup an
arbitrary line from anywhere there is a phone.  All the lower end IP
phones I look at say they have two "lines" ... I'd really like to use
cheap(er) phones on the floor: they get abused and gross and don't
need to do much (except be four line phones) -- and need to be
replaced more frequently than "normal".  I'd like to hear other's
ideas on how to implement this system or if others have implemented
VoIP with "floor" phones in a restaurant, warehouse, etc...

Finally)
Would I be foolish to try to send / receive fax over VoIP by plugging
the fax server into ATAs and using a zero compression codec? We send
about 150 faxes daily and receive a couple as well...having to keep
more than one analog line around for FAX would defeat the cost saving
motivation behind all this anyway (we can theoretically use up to
three of our five lines for FAX at a time).  Internet Fax is so
overpriced its absurd (unless someone knows of a company doing it for
around $0.02 a page, which is how much the phone call costs to send a
one page fax).

Thanks for making it through my long post...I'd by happy to get any
answers about any part of what I mentioned above!

~Adam