[Asterisk-Users] SOHO PBX using asterisk

Christopher L. Wade clwade at sparco.com
Tue Dec 21 10:01:04 MST 2004

Joel Moore wrote:
> I'm new at this, too, but I think I can field this one.  FXS ports are for
> connecting to your phones and FXO ports are for connecting to the PSTN. In
> your situation you would get a TDM400P card with four FXS ports which will
> allow you to configure 4 individual extensions.  The DSL doesn't use a port
> on the Digium card since it is accessed via the PC's network interface.

Joel,

Be careful with this.  The OP did not mention VoIP.  While he did
mention ADSL, that does not necessarily mean VoIP.  He could be
referring  to the phone line he - probably - still has that now comes
off his ADSL filters, etc.

Giorgio,

Joel is correct.  FXO is for PSTN side, FXS is for office/phone side.
If you want to use the POTS line typically associated with ADSL, you'll
need a TDM40B (TDM400 + 4 x FXS) and depending on your needs/location a
TDM01B (TDM400 + 1 x FXO).  If you did mean to use VoIP, scratch the
TDM01B and just plug an ethernet cable between your ADSL router and the
NIC on your * server.

-Chris

--
Christopher L. Wade                     Unistar-Sparco Computers, Inc.
Senior Systems Administrator                            dba Sparco.com