[Asterisk-Users] SMS - how to send one

B G bg1102 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 08:04:10 MST 2004

Hello,

I am trying to exchange SMS between a fixed phone and an Asterisk. The
intention is to make the Asterisk become a SMS Center, because we do
not have public SMS Center in our country.

I have two phone lines, one for Asterisk and one for the SMS enabled
fixned phone. I also config the fixed phone to have the SMS Center
number as the phone number for Asterisk.

Currently, I can send SMS from the fixed phone to Asterisk. However, I
cannot send SMS from Asterisk to the phone. I try a lot but the fixed
phone does not answer the Asterisk when the Asterisk rings the phone.

A friend of mine told me that the signal for SMS communication is
different from the signal for voice communication. If the sms_app and
Asterisk are not compatible with the PSTN network, Asterisk cannot
send SMS signals to the phone, then the phone cannot detect an
incoming SMS. That is why it does not answer an incoming SMS from
Asterisk because it thinks that incoming SMS is a normal phone.

Does anyone have any hint for me for this problem? Is there any
special requirement for Asterisk and fixed phones to exchange SMS
through normal PSTN?

Thanks a lot
Hoa Nguyen