[Asterisk-Users] NMI issues...

I put the Who? in Mishehu mishehu at shavedgoats.net
Mon Dec 20 23:42:56 MST 2004

I have read thru what other users have tried in this list when they have
experienced seemingly similar issues to what I have, without success.  I
suspect there might be an issue regarding both the X100P and TDM04b cards
being used in an Intel SE7525GP2 motherboard, as I had to even wait for a
BIOS update from Intel in order to utilize my 3ware 9500 SATA raid
controller on it (3ware Kb -->
http://www.3ware.com/kb/article.aspx?id=12435 ).  The following is a list
of the configuration and the issues I have encountered.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

System A:
Intel SE7525GP2 motherboard.  Has BIOS revision 06, BMC 2.40 and FRUSDR
1.40 2x2.8GHz Xeon processors w/800Mhz FSB, actively cooled retail box set
1GB of ECC registered DDR333 RAM, 2 DIMMs
3ware 9500 SATA Raid, controlling a 3-disk raid5 array
550 Watt 24-pin ATX power supply

System B:
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3200 (barton core)
512 MB RAM
ATI 9600SE OEM card
200GB SATA drive

Process is as follows:
1.  On system A until further notice: The Intel SE7525GP2 conflicted with
the firmware on the 3ware 9500 SATA RAID controller until BIOS 06 was
released.
2.  After having been flashed, Slackware 10.0 was then installed on it.
It currently runs stock kernel 2.6.9, udev 042, and the most recent
hotplug from 2004-09-23.
3.  Installed a digium-supplied X101P into the machine into a 32bit PCI
slot. 4.  Downloaded zaptel 1.0.3, compiled against kernel 2.6.9.  Upon
modprobe wcfxo, NMI's are immediately reported (syslog to follow).  The
instructions from README.udev were followed and parameters inserted into
the rules file for udev.  Problem occurs regardless of whether or not
hotplug inserts the modules or the are manually inserted by me.  Repeated
modprobe -r wcfxo; modprobe wcfxo produces no different result as well. 5.
 Attempted all combinations of moving the card to other compatible slots,
CVS zaptel from 2004-12-17, and the TDM04b card.  Snippet of syslog as
follows:

Dec 19 15:33:17 nisui kernel: Freshmaker version: 71
Dec 19 15:33:17 nisui kernel: Freshmaker passed register test
Dec 19 15:33:18 nisui kernel: Module 0: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Dec 19 15:33:18 nisui kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 31 on
CPU 0.
Dec 19 15:33:18 nisui kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Dec 19 15:33:18 nisui kernel: Do you have a strange power saving mode
enabled?
Dec 19 15:33:18 nisui kernel: Module 1: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Dec 19 15:33:18 nisui kernel: Module 2: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Dec 19 15:33:19 nisui kernel: Module 3: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Dec 19 15:33:19 nisui kernel: Found a Wildcard TDM: Wildcard TDM400P REV
E/F (4 modules)
Dec 19 15:33:19 nisui kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 31 on
CPU 0.
Dec 19 15:33:19 nisui kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Dec 19 15:33:19 nisui kernel: Do you have a strange power saving mode
enabled?
Dec 19 15:33:19 nisui kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 21 on
CPU 0.

The NMI's will continue to report reasons 21 & 31 until the module is
removed from the kernel.

6.  Attempted several kernel reconfigurations, including ones that
stripped out USB support and all SMP support.  Even on this machine with a
uniprocessor kernel, NMI was still generated.
7.  Took the X100P and installed it in System B.  System B only reports:
Notice: Configuration file is /etc/zaptel.conf
line 143: Unable to open master device '/dev/zap/ctl'
Whenever I check, /dev/zap/ctl does exist.  No NMI is generated on this
machine, though I do not know if it is capible of doing so.  Otherwise, it
appears to operate normally.
8.  Tried asterisklivecd that is maintained by somebody in Italy.
Actually got a freshmaker error on that trial, though it appeared to be
somewhat outdated.

Just to anticipate questions, whenever the TDM04b was tested, the power
connector was in fact connected.  An Intel Etherexpress Pro 100 ethernet
card was tested on Machine A to verify that there was no problem with the
slots.  The eepro100 initializes and operates perfectly.  Attached to this
email is a copy of the kernel's configuration, and a list of currently
loaded modules is as follows:

Module                  Size  Used by
md5                     4992  1
ipv6                  260352  16
hw_random               6548  0
pciehp                 97540  0
shpchp                101124  0
pci_hotplug            13060  2 pciehp,shpchp
e1000                  86788  0
evdev                  10368  0

And output from /proc/interrupts immediately after loading the wctdm module:
          CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3
 0:    3791068         10         10         10    IO-APIC-edge  timer 1:
        7          1          0          0    IO-APIC-edge  i8042 9:
    0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level  acpi
12:         57          0          0          1    IO-APIC-edge  i8042 14:
         0          1          0          0    IO-APIC-edge  ide0 169:
  4222          0          1          0   IO-APIC-level  eth0 185:
 0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level  ehci_hcd 209:
22767          0          1          0   IO-APIC-level  3w-9xxx 217:
1063          0          0          1   IO-APIC-level  wctdm NMI:
63          0          0          0
LOC:    3791179    3791182    3791180    3791179
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

Thanks in advance,

mishehu