[Asterisk-Users] A few simple (I hope) questions from a first-timer

Joel Moore joel.moore at prodevinc.com
Mon Dec 20 16:02:08 MST 2004

We have the following situation:

We're ordering two PSTN lines for our new office (no broadband at all --
it's not even available).  The first line is going to be our primary # and
it will also serve as our fax line using distinctive ring.

The second line is going to be for a dial-up ISP (*sigh*) but now we'd like
it to do double duty as the second line of a hunt group (we can't even get
voicemail service for these lines from Verizon).  We'd be willing to hamper
our Internet access a little to make this work.

We'll be ordering a 2 FXO, 2 FXS TDM400P card for this setup.

Now the questions:

1) I want to make sure I understand Asterisk's support for distinctive ring
properly.  I assume I can branch the first line into our fax machine before
I plug it into the * server and that * can be configured to ignore the fax
line's distinctive ring.  Correct?

Is there a better way to do this?  Would we be better off letting * handle
faxes?  Is there anyway to pair up * with some fax software and let the * PC
be the fax machine (thereby enjoying some additional benefits such as
routing faxes to an email server)?

2) Is there any way to use * with the data line (i.e. does it have some sort
of PPP module?) or do I have to branch that line into a modem before
plugging it into the TDM400P card?

3) Does call waiting work with *?  I see some messages saying that call
waiting is a wasted feature but the Asterisk web site mentions call waiting
is supported.  Despite have 2 lines on the hunt group we'd like to also have
call waiting so we can answer incoming calls when boths lines are tied up.

Also, An ideal situation would be where the data line gets put on hold
(something similar to the ICN feature found on USR modems) whenever the
second line is needed for voice (incoming or outgoing).  This may be too
complicated, though.

Joel Moore