[Asterisk-Users] Phone choices....opinion request Polycom vs Cisco

Andrei (MPI) asterisk at markovprocesses.com
Mon Dec 20 12:21:53 MST 2004

Gary wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:52:40 +0000, w fm3 wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I am struggling with hardware choices to get started with. My options are
>>narrowed down to SIP phones - Polycom IP500, IP600 and Cisco 7940G.
>>
>>of importance is:
>>
>>- functionality / integration with asterisk
>>- headset functionality and use
>>- voice quality
>>- build quality
>>
>>Is there much of a difference between Polycom and Cisco? Scanning the group
>>it looks like there may be slightly  more issues with Polycom but I don't
>>know how they stack up on the integration with Asterisk and future
>>flexability.
>>
>>Any recommendations appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Walt
>>

>I would seriously start looking at IP Phones based on the PA1688
>chipset.
>Particularly those which use one of the standard loads....
>
>Have a look at http://www.aredfox.com/edownloads.htm
>whistl IAX2 at the time of writing is not there, its wont be long at
>all :-)

We are using Polycom 500-600, Cisco 7940 everyday.  We tried
PA1688-based phones. The latest are very far from desired business
quality, also those have limited set of functions.

After trying a few phones we picked Polycom IP600 for our 10+ extensions
setup. No regrets so far.

Of course, IAX2 firmware for Polycoms and/or Cisco would have solved
SIP-NAT-related headache for telecommuters and remote SOHO setups.