[Asterisk-Users] RE: Meetme with video???

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Sat Dec 18 10:30:49 MST 2004

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Hi Noah, I have been contacted by 2 people but nothing so
> far. If you want to add $500 please email me your details and
> I'll add it to the wiki to co-ordinate this.
>
> I agree I'm really surprised why no one has shown more of an
> interest in video calls on asterisk yet.

It is certainly worthy of discussion, but perhaps not really that
surprising; video has been the next big thing in telephony since the
50s. I think the price of entry has always scared folks off, not to
mention that the kind of bandwidth and horsepower required by video
makes audio seem a piece of cake. But I think the real barrier with
video is the cultural environment.

We have certain expectations when we're seeing video: years of
television has trained us to expect a certain level of production. This
means that video connections come with certain cultural expectations
that audio does not.

Please understand that I'm not saying video is bad, or useless, or
unimportant, or whatever. I'm just observing the fact that the industry
has been promising that video will be the standard in communication for
over fifty years, and people still love their telephones. Consider: I
could have a business conversation with you right now over the
telephone, but as I'm still in my underwear, a video conversation would
not be fun for you at all!

The interest is there, but perhaps everyone's got enough to do with
audio to get into worrying about video just yet. It's not that no one
wants it, it's more a matter of priorities.

Again, I'm not trying to put a value judgement on it, merely to
speculate on why the interest is not as high as one might expect.

Regards,

Jim.

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+bounty+Meet+Me+vid