[Asterisk-Users] OT: "Integrated Access T1" voice problems -is this possible?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Dec 18 05:04:57 MST 2004

> > Static allocation of channels is more typical when the integrated access
> > delivers TDM voice and IP data, not VoIP and IP data, and if you have a
> > VoIP provider that is channelizing the T1 for dedicated Data/Voice
> > channels it would surprise me, the real reason must be that they use
> > garbage gear that can not properly prioritize voice or they need some IP
> > networking training. Properly configured and loaded, a good router will
> > never drop voice because of the data load, it will frequenlty drop data
> > packets to keep the queues to a manageable size and keep the voice
> > quality high. Who is the provider feeding you this info?
>
> Damon,
>
> 	I think that I must not be explaining this clearly.  This information
> is from SBC (Southwestern Bell).  They claim that if they bring us one
> T1 and we want to split it 50/50 voice/data (TDM voice and IP data) (not
> necessarily 50/50 but any combination of voice + data channels), there
> could be voice quality issues on the TDM voice side when the data
> portion was pushed (downloading a big file - their words!).  It made no
> sense to me whatsoever, and I think that they are trying to sell us two
> T1's, or something...  I wanted to explain my impression of what TDM
> was, and why I didn't think it was possible - but I am very new to T1's
> and didn't have the tech facts to back it up.

You're on it Kristian, SBC is either blowing smoke or the sales person
needs some remedial training (eg, technically challenged).

However, keep in mind that most telco's have many different ways to
deliver the type of service you want, and sales folks generally don't
have clue what many of those services actually do. Most of the larger
telco's have sales engineers that support these guys, so push him for
a contact that can talk tech words to.