[Asterisk-Users] Open Ports

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at Asterisk.Open.Source.IT
Sat Dec 18 03:52:46 MST 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 10:17, Norman Zhang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> May I ask what ports are necessary for SIP communication through a
> firewall? I read somewhere that UDP/5060 alone is enough. Some
> recommends more ports to be opened for RTP.

Both the above statements are correct.

SIP uses port 5060

RTP uses multiple ports, typically in the range 10000-20000

Remember that SIP and RTP are different - SIP is used to set up the call; RTP
is used to carry the audio once the call has been set up.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Anything that improbable is effectively impossible.

 - Murray Gell-Mann, Nobel Prizewinner in Physics

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.