[Asterisk-Users] Total newbie here looking to do a VoIPconfer ence call?

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Fri Dec 17 17:50:00 MST 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Patrick Campbell wrote:

> Come to think of it since the DTA310 uses DNS to find the SIP server,
> you could setup a DNS cache and override the DNS entry for what packet8
> uses (proxy2-eqix-sjo.packet8.net : 15062, over here) to point to the IP
> of your own SIP server?  Kind of a hack but it should work as long as
> it's running on port 15062.  I am very new to this so I don't know if
> there's a port standard for SIP like there is for HTTP, SSH, FTP, etc.?

once upon a time I was tinkering with a vonage-locked ATA186. The first
thing I did was connect it to a linux box and run ethereal. When I powered
up the unit, I saw that it made DHCP requests. So I set up a DHCP server
on the linux box. Next it made DNS requests for a few vonage hosts. So I
set up a DNS server, and configured it so to reply that I am the vonage
host the 186 wanted to speak with. It's an interesting excercise to
configure a spoofed network to make some locked device do what you really
want it to do. Unfortunately, the thing melted down (literally) before I
finished my testing with it. I was going to see if I could make calls
to/from that box into Asterisk by using the autocreatepeer option in
sip.conf.. oh well. Maybe this serves as a little food for thought for
you.

Greg