[Asterisk-Users] Total newbie here looking to do a VoIP conference call?

Nicolás Gudiño asternic at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 16:03:09 MST 2004

Hello,

> I don't have a great grasp as to what Asterick is capable of, but my
> thoughts were that perhaps with VoIP telephone lines (either hooked up to
> the company's network or just using a 3rd party VoIP provider such as
> Packet8, which is whatI have for personal use) and an Asterick server, that
> we could setup a VoIP conference bridge.
>
> Can someone enlighten an unknowledged as to whether or not this is possible,
> and if so, how might it be done?  Would the Asterick server need X number of
> VoIP lines?  I.e. If there's 10 participants, it'd need 10 VoIP lines?

You do not need VoIP lines as you call them... You need an asterisk
server and ip phones or softphones to dial your server conference room
(the application is called meetme)

If you would like to accept regular pstn calls into your conference,
then you will also need some hardware to connect pstn lines to your
asterisk box. There are several kinds of cards.... you can purchase
them from digium at http://www.digium.com

If you do not have time to set this up, you can hire a consultant. You
can find a lot of usefull documentation, and a list of asterisk
consultants at http://www.voip-info.org

Good luck,

--
Nicolás Gudiño