[Asterisk-Users] Total newbie here looking to do a VoIP conference call?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at Asterisk.Open.Source.IT
Fri Dec 17 14:27:20 MST 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 21:00, Patrick Campbell wrote:

> I am looking to help out my company find a more budget conscious but
> reliable way to hold conference calls between 5+ people.  4x a month we
> hold several hour long conference calls during non-business hours.  All of
> the employees have high speed internet.  Currently we dial up an AT&T conf
> using regular analog phones.
>
> I don't have a great grasp as to what Asterisk is capable of, but my
> thoughts were that perhaps with VoIP telephone lines (either hooked up to
> the company's network or just using a 3rd party VoIP provider such as
> Packet8, which is whatI have for personal use) and an Asterisk server, that
> we could setup a VoIP conference bridge.

"meetme" is what you want.

> Can someone enlighten an unknowledged as to whether or not this is
> possible, and if so, how might it be done?  Would the Asterisk server need
> X number of VoIP lines?  I.e. If there's 10 participants, it'd need 10 VoIP
> lines?

There isn't really a concept of VoIP "lines" - each remote participant just
comes in to the Asterisk server on your normal Internet connection - they
each need their own SIP phone, of course, and they each need to have an
Internet link, but as far as Asterisk is concerned, it just needs a
connection with sufficient bandwidth to handle the total number of conference
subscribers.

Antony.

--
There are two possible outcomes:

 If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement.
 If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.

 - Enrico Fermi

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.