[Asterisk-Users] Call on hold disconnects...

Ferguson, Michael ferguson at BRVMLAW.COM
Fri Dec 17 14:10:58 MST 2004

Antony,
Thanks. It seems that the GS will not keep the call on hold.
In the real world though, when you place a call on hold, it is held until further action.
The caller will hear messages, music, anything while you are gone to look for a file, etc.

Technically, if you place the call on hold and put the handset back on the cradle, you DID NOT HANG UP to end the call.
If you want to hang up the call you will first have to take the call off hold... No.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Antony Stone
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 3:54 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Call on hold disconnects...

On Friday 17 December 2004 20:43, Ferguson, Michael wrote:

> OK. I guess I was not clear. Sorry.
>
> The phone rings.
> The person picks up the handset and speaks to the caller.
> He then puts the call on hold by pressing the "HOLD" button on the GS
> 100 phone. The caller hears music on hold.

So far, so good.

> The hand set is placed back on the cradle (as is done on a regular
> phone with a hold button)

I'm not sure I agree with this.   Some phones may allow you to hang up and not
disconnect the call, but I don't think it's universal.   Some phones
interpret this to mean "oh, you want to hang up? Okay - I'll hang up the call
then."

> The call is disconnected.

Well, yes, because you hung up.

What happens if you do something else, like dial another extension, or press
the hold button again (perhaps to retreive the original caller)?

I repeat one of my original questions - if this is not what you expected to
happen when you hang up the phone, how would you expect to hang up the call
when you wanted to?

Antony.

--
This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above
and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable

If you have received this email in error, you are required to shred it
immediately, add some nutmeg, three egg whites and a dessertspoonful of
caster sugar.   Whisk until soft peaks form, then place in a warm oven for 40
minutes.   Remove promptly and let stand for 2 hours before adding some
decorative kiwi fruit and cream.   Then notify me immediately by return email
and eat the original message.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
Asterisk-Users mailing list
Asterisk-Users at lists.digium.com http://lists.digium.com/mailman/listinfo/asterisk-users