[Asterisk-Users] OT: DSL without voice

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Fri Dec 17 08:34:11 MST 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Joe Greco wrote:

> > Joe Greco schrieb:
> >
> > > Don't forget, you ought to have a conventional phone line for E911
> > > purposes, including "what happens when a hurricane goes through and my ISP
> > > becomes toast". VoIP is a neat technology but it lacks the resiliency of
> > > the traditional phone system.
> >
> > For this you can take your mobile. When my local company (T-Com) decides
> > to allow ADSL without a phone line I will take it. I've got my mobile
> > for cases of emergency.
> >
> > And since in germany there is really no danger of a hurricane the
> > stability of the mobile nets should be sufficient. ;-)
>

> I do think the thing that worries me about this trend is the unexpected
> scenario.  Right now, we have a fairly high quality E911 system (dunno
> about where you are) and people expect that they can dial "911" and the
> right things happen.
>
> So what if you've got some friends visiting your house and you have a heart
> attack and no 911 on your POTS-via-VoIP?  Are they expected to know your
> cell phone's unlock code?  Are they required to bring their own cells as a
> prerequisite for visiting?  Or is it acceptable for them to have to go
> finding a neighbor who has a usable POTS phone?

This random thought just popped into my head: Seems like I've read that
any cell handset will place a 911 call, regardless of whether it is
associated with a valid and paid-up account. Is that true? If so, then
maybe we could just attach GSM interfaces to our asterisk box to provide
communications in the unlikely emergency (so long as the LAN and * box
have power to operate, that is). Whaddaya think?

Greg