[Asterisk-Users] OT: DSL without voice

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Dec 17 07:00:18 MST 2004

> A lot of people are going for the "VOIP only" approach, but SBC says you
> have to have an active analog voice circuit before they will sell you DSL.
>
> Does anybody know which DSL providers will sell you DSL without making you
> pay for a voice circuit?

SDSL service is delivered on a dedicated circuit.  You should never need to
have an analog voice circuit before ordering SDSL.

(So is, for that matter, HDSL, though that is frequently misrepresented as
"T1" service)

There are also a small number of providers, like Speakeasy, who are now
offering ADSL-over-bare-copper services (I believe they call theirs
Onelink).

There is really nothing prohibiting DSL providers from doing this - they
just end up paying Ma Bell for the entire cost of the copper, and that's
not really all that popular.

Don't forget, you ought to have a conventional phone line for E911
purposes, including "what happens when a hurricane goes through and my ISP
becomes toast".  VoIP is a neat technology but it lacks the resiliency of
the traditional phone system.

... JG