[Asterisk-Users] CPU spikes with wcfxs loaded

Stephan Schiessling s at rapi.com
Fri Dec 17 04:07:27 MST 2004

After reading your advice I replaced the Via chipset asus board
(Sempron) by a
Intel chipset MSI board (Celeron). Compiled the same kernel (2.6.8.1)
for new hardware,
compiled asterisk (in bristuff-0.0.2 distribution), spandsp.
Spandsp now works, before it doesn't !

vmstat 1 shows me, that I get almost everytime the same number of interrupts
(from 17034 to 17056)
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system--
----cpu----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff          cache   si   so    bi    bo
in          cs us sy id wa
 1  0      0  91388 104828 146100    0    0     0     0 17034   169  0
0 100  0
 0  0      0  91388 104836 146100    0    0     0    12 17035   177  0
0 100  0
 0  0      0  91388 104836 146100    0    0     0     0 17034   169  0
0 100  0

Compared to my via chipset asus mainboard, the number of interrupts are
the same like above,
except when the harddisc is active. Then it drops to about 16050. (bo!=0).
hdparm -u1 /dev/hda (on via chipset asus system) avoids this, so number
of interrupts stay almost constant.
With that I got a little more of a fax page, before it failed.
Setting pci latency (on via chipset asus system) by
setpci -v -s XX:X.X latency_timer=00
also helped me a little, since as best result, I got almost 75 % of a
fax page, before it failed.

But with all these tricks, I never got a whole page (or even a several
pages fax).
Only by switching to the intel chipset mainboard the timing problem
seems to be resolved.
Thank you very much Craig Guy, for your advice!

If more readers experience the same problems with VIA chipset mainboards
only, we should add a warning to
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Hardware

Bye,

Stephan Schiessling