[Asterisk-Users] AS5xx0: SS7 and SIP?

Manuel Wenger manuel.wenger at ticinocom.com
Fri Dec 17 03:14:47 MST 2004

We currently use Asterisk to provide a SIP-to-PSTN service. The actual
conversion takes place somewhere in a softswitch owned by our
SIP-to-PSTN provider, where we have an SS7 link. We would like to do
that conversion ourselves.

Is it possible to replace a softswitch with a Cisco AS5xx0 only (ie.
AS5300, 5350, 5400), or is a *real* softswitch (ie. Cisco PGW2200)
needed? Does anyone have any experience with an
Asterisk--CiscoAS5xx0--SS7 configuration? As far as I know,
Asterisk--CiscoAS5xx0--PRI works, but I couldn't find anything about
SS7.

Thank you
-Manuel