[Asterisk-Users] VoIP Termination

Wilson Pickett spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 23:51:00 MST 2004

> I'm looking to change from a standard telephone line to a VoIP phone line at
> home.  I'm looking for recommendations for VoIP providers that I can use with
> Asterisk.

Don't forget about emergency services (lack of) with voIP.

> One of the catches is that I often telecommute and sometimes I do some side
> business; these practices violate many provider's acceptable use policies.
> So, I need a provider who doesn't care how I use the phone, and one that
> works well with Asterisk.

I agree with those who have said you should use metered services, but
you need to measure the time you spend on the phone to see.
Fortunately, asterisk will do that for you to the second, looking at
the cdr records and totalling up the duration column for a specific
period will tell you what your bill would be at the few cents a minute
you'll be charged.

For providers I also favor IAX (most here who have the choice will)
such as nufone, voicepulse and voipjet. I've also used ICH,
calgarytelecom.