[Asterisk-Users] How "expensive" are thedifferent codecs?(Regarding CPU time)

Michael Vogel icarus at dabo.de
Thu Dec 16 23:29:26 MST 2004

Jim Van Meggelen schrieb:

> You understand. I was kidding a little bit, but yes, I am also
> wondering just what things can be done to get a slower machine to
> work as well as possible.

Okay. So lets try.

>>> Have you tried running Asterisk at pseudo-realtime priority?
>>> (asterisk -p)
>>
>> That helps in one way: At the moment my system is doing its morning
>>  routine. That means it makes a tar archieve of my /home directory
>> to my backup drive. With the -p option the "show
>> translation"-values are equal to the values when my system is idle.
>>

> And otherwise not?

Otherwise - without the -p option - the system had values of 400ms (and
higher) converting speex when it wasn't idle. Now the value is
constantly at about 210.

>> I guess this option could help me a lot regarding the sound
>> problems I got sometimes.
>
> Yes, it might help a lot.

I will see when doing some calls over sip (there I had the most
problems). Maybe at the evening. Now I have to breakfast, shower and go
to work.

Bye!

Michael