[Asterisk-Users] Calculating required bandwidth

Race Vanderdecken asterisk at vanderdecken.com
Thu Dec 16 13:49:09 MST 2004

Thank you Peasants,

In general the original question was answered. I am software guy, if the
network slobs can't fit all the data in the pipe that is not my problem.

The basic idea in the answer was that you can get more calls by using
compression; much like the automobile manufacture's gas mileage may
vary.

Also remember that a telephone conversation is 2/3's silence. ( I speak,
silence, then you speak. See the book at bought on Amazon 4 years ago
but can't remember the name of the book.)IP only sends the data when
there is noise versus the T1 which is a constant TDM stream. So I
predict in testing with good VoIP equipment you can get more then 24
G.711 calls per T1. So take that and comment. You should be able to get
more VoIP calls, my prediction is 40 G.711 well behaved calls with
silence suppression per T1. Why else would the Baby Bells move to VoIP?

But it is nice to know there are some intelligent folks monitoring the
list, thank you.

Race