[Asterisk-Users] STABE, CVS and in between? Confused

Wilson Pickett spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 13:37:44 MST 2004

I am not worthy. Ok that's out of the way, I fall on the mercy of the
Gods of CVS, general development and asterisk:

I am using 1.0 STABLE in a production box for our office. Sure, I lobe
to play with dialplans and new devices and tricks, but I mainly need a
two line office phone system that works in as much of a failsafe
manner as is possible.

I want to take advantage of the later builds, but do not have the time
to play with HEAD, although I have made it and used it in production
in its better more stable moments in the past.

My question, nay, plea is for someone to explain how (if it is indeed
possible) to manage a level of features that is well between bleeding
edge (HEAD, right?) and senior discount  (STABLE) versions of
asterisk.

Queries: Is 1.0.3 very stable for production and if so, how do we get
it?  I keep hearing about '"DIALSTATUS being broken" and stuff like
that, this is obviously not gonna work for a production setup.

In your opinion, stay at STABLE 1.0  or move on? If so where?

Second part

spandsp

Last version I tried worked great with 50% of the fax machines that
tried to reach us. So half our clients had machines looping trying to
send us the same fax 3 times. I know this great software will work
soon, maybe it's there now. Is there a combination of asterisk and
sppandsp that will receive faxes reliably from *most* fax machines? I
need this for the occasional fax. We have software that will get faxes
but I'd rather have asterisk fax capable.

Thanks in advance for all updates on this situation. I have been
reading about spandsp on this list for months.