[Asterisk-Users] QOS Device?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Dec 16 05:15:46 MST 2004

On December 15, 2004 11:40 pm, Me wrote:
> Is there some sort of box/device that I can place between the T1 router and
> the firewall box which will allow me to prioritize voice traffic on this
> link?

Put iproute2 and tc on the firewall.  Limit the traffic out of the firewall to
the T1 router to 1500kbps.  There are tons of shaping scripts out there but I
prefer something I rolled together and use myself:
http://www.mixdown.ca/~andrew/dump/rc.tc.  I don't profess to be a traffic
shaping guru and if anyone has any suggestions on how to make it better I'd
be grateful but it seems to work very well for me.  I can completely saturate
my ADSL uplink (800kbps) without really bad degradation in my outgoing audio
(there is some but it's not bad according to the other side).

> I can't change the T1 router to something that supports QOS because it has
> certain redundant features with an ISDN line which are needed.

You could always use a Sangoma A101u and a CAPI card in a Linux box.  :-)  The
HDLC features in the Digium T100P are still being ironed out, IIRC.
Sangoma's been doing it for literally years if not coming up to a decade yet.
I've got a friend who's been using an older (DSU/CSU-less) version of their
T1 card for at least that long.

-A.