[Asterisk-Users] QOS Device?

rsenykoff at harrislogic.com rsenykoff at harrislogic.com
Thu Dec 16 00:02:01 MST 2004

I will be putting documentation together shortly on how to build a
high-availability QoS setup using 2 spare PCs and 4 NICs. I've been very
successful with this approach for a T-1 that shares both Citrix and Video
Conferencing + normal web traffic and such. The real key is a combination
of packet prioritization with traffic shaping. The QoS boxes I build use
Fedora Core 1 and are configured as bridges. This way, you just drop them
into the right spot on the network and don't have to change routes or
anything. Also, I put ntop on them, so they can monitor traffic statistics
to/from the WAN. They use Spanning Tree Protocol (part of the bridge-utils
package) to make the solution high availability. All traffic routes
through the primary QoS box, but if it fails traffic goes through the
second box. I took this approach because I was using old HP Vectras
(Pentium 200 Pros) that have old drives in them, which _will_ fail at some
point. The Vectras were just sitting on the shelf, and I've got more
customized shaping going on than any cookie cutter solution will give you.
Here's a simple diagram:

     -----------------
     |      T-1      |
     -----------------