[Asterisk-Users] Newbie setup (Hardware questions)

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at Asterisk.Open.Source.IT
Wed Dec 15 16:44:13 MST 2004

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 23:24, Puddle wrote:

> Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.  Would VoIP
> phones still require FXO units or would that not
> require any special telephony hardware?

SIP phones connect by ethernet - no telephony hardware needed.

You would want an FXO port if you want to plug your Asterisk into the public
phone system (PSTN), so your SIP phones can call normal phone numbers, and/or
receive calls from normal phones.

However, be aware that you can get SIP <-> PSTN connectivity from external
service providers (ie: they give you a phone number, when someone calls it,
they forward the call to your Asterisk or SIP phone, or when you dial out
from Asterisk, they will connect you to normal phone numbers (and charge you
for the call, of course...))

Regards,

Antony.

--
Success is a lousy teacher.  It seduces smart people into thinking they can't
lose.

 - William H Gates III

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.