[Asterisk-Users] IP Conference Units?

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Wed Dec 15 08:27:01 MST 2004

Hi -

We have a couple of large spaces that we'd like to cover with dedicated conference units like the Polycom Soundstation IP3000.  We're concerned about adequately covering the spaces, though, one of which is very long and narrow.  I wanted to get external add-on microphones for the IP3000, but I've found that unlike some of their other conference products, it does not have this capability.  Has anyone used an IP3000 before?  Will the built-in microphone/speaker cover a space that is approximately 15' x 70'?

If not, is there another conference unit that will cover a space like this?  I don't care about protocol so much, SIP, IAX, h323, MGCP, SCCP - anything is fine.

I suggested that we could put 2 or 3 of our Polycom IP500 handsets in the space and have them all dial the same meetme conference room.  Would that be too much background noise from one room?  This also does not really cover conferences hosted by other companies - well, at least companies that don't use handy meetme rooms in asterisk ;-).

Thanks,
Noah