[Asterisk-Users] Re: Verizon PRI Setup Problems

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Wed Dec 15 07:57:06 MST 2004

> > > pri show span 1

> > Primary D-channel: 24
>
> The "Down" indicates the d-chan is down. Call Verizon and have them
> activate it. (Its not uncommon for telco's to deactivate the d-chan
> when a circuit hasn't been fully turned up. It reduces the number of
> alarms they have to deal with.)

Aha!  That would make sense.  We ordered the PRI a while back for a new
office space, but construction was delayed, and it has been sitting idle for
more than a month.

> > zapata.conf:
> > switchtype = national
> > context = incoming
> > signalling = pri_cpe
> > group = 1
> > channel => 1-23
>
> In the above for US-based PRI's, you'll want to add:
> pridialplan=unknown
> echocancel=yes
> echotraining=yes ; try =800 if there is still echo with =yes
> echocancelwhenbridged=yes
>
> The pridialplan= statement essentially tells the Verizon switch
> what type of dialplan you expect to use. 'unknown' allows you to
> send 7 digits, 1+ 10 digits, etc. 'national' restricts international
> long distance, while 'international' imposes other restrictions.
> The added zapata.conf parameters are not the cause for your d-chan
> being down, however after that issue is resolved you'll bump into
> these parameters.
>
> After the above items are resolved and things are closer to working,
> you'll need to know how many digits (if any) Verizon is going to be
> sending to you for inbound calls. If you asked them to provide DID
> numbers, then the number of digits received will become important
> for you to define extensions.conf entries associated with your
> context=incoming statement above. If they send you 4 digits, then
> use extension.conf test entries like:
> [incoming]
> include => valid-did
> include => invalid-did
>
> [valid-did]
> exten => 1234,1,Goto(local-extns,1234,1)
> exten => 1235,1,Goto(local-extns,1235,1)
>
> [invalid-did]
> exten => _.,1,Answer
> exten => _.,2,Wait(1)
> exten => _.,3,Playback(the-number-u-dialed)
> exten => _.,4,Playback(not-yet-assigned)
> exten => _.,5,Wait(2)
> exten => _.,6,Hangup
>
> You will also want to talk to a Verizon switch tech about how to
> handle outbound CallerID. E.g., do you want to send CallerIDNum to
> Verizon matching each originating DID number, or, map all outbound
> calls to a single CallerIDNum? They will also set a common
> CallerIDName for all outbound calls, but probably won't allow you
> to send the name to them.

Wow, a wealth of information!  Thanks, Rich, for all the dialplan and echo
cancel stuff.   I certainly would not have thought to cover invalid DID'd or
outbound CallerID!  This will save me a GREAT deal of time (which is
suddenly a huge premium for me).

Thanks,
Noah