[Asterisk-Users] Re: Ethernet Channel Bank idea

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Dec 15 05:23:51 MST 2004

> FXS vs FXO, listen.
>
> I really didn't mean to present that as a perspective, only a challenge to
> shoot down an inflated price model for FXS ports.
>
> If you mention FXO, I must mention $100 will not buy you what I am talking
> about. I am talking FXS ONLY.
>
> I am too, interested, in an Ethernet Channel Bank.
>
> I will not mention PAP2-NA's for 2 Line VOIP FXS ports at $56 standard
> retail each, nor will I mention SIP which comes standard with Asterisk to
> ship VOIP calls to, and which passes G.729 across a T-1 or DSL to a device
> which you can buy, such as a 7905, 7940, 7960 and I definitely won't point
> you to buy a 729 license from
> http://store.yahoo.com/asteriskpbx/asteriskg729.html.
> or 'borrow' one from elsewhere.
>
> Besides, GSM compression is pretty close.
>
> etc etc etc
>
> Big Difference between FXS and FXO.
>
> And yes, point made, rural fxo bonding could be more cost friendly with
> that type of a device.. as could already established lines. No installs
> etc.
>
> Let me know if you every come up with a $400 48 Port FXO device.
>
> With that, if as an FXO device, and not looking at FXS, the $400 is
> interesting.. considering only 2 points
> 	1) Call Answered is at Channel Bank level
> 	2) Call Delivered is only via Ethernet.
>
> PSTN  -> | PM | -> *
>
> Otherwise for twice the cost, I can do 4 ports @ $800.. vs 2 ports at
> $400. Matching cost and supporting open source software.
>
> Otherwise this is a null and void topic. Same cost per T?
>
> Am I wrong here?

Don't think there is such a thing as wrong; its all in perspective.
Some folks need economical fxs's and some need fxo's (or a combo).
Regardless of which is needed, interfacing "the box" to asterisk
via ethernet (where feasible) has some interesting economics and
operational benefits, particularily if dsp/codec/canceller is in
the box.