[Asterisk-Users] ztcfg problems

Ryan Stark rstark at tuzakey.com
Tue Dec 14 19:17:15 MST 2004

Michael Welter wrote:
> Ryan Stark wrote:
>
>> Hello, I'm running Fedora Core 3 with udev, and asterisk/zaptel/libpri
>> from cvs.  I have followed the README.udev instructions replacing
>> insmod with modprobe and rmmod with modprobe -r and adding the
>> 60-zaptel.rules file, yet no matter what I do I still get this error
>> on boot(or when I run service zaptel restart):
>>
>> [root at pbx ~]# /etc/init.d/zaptel restart
>> Unloading zaptel hardware drivers: wcusb wcfxs wcfxo wct1xxp wct4xxp
>> tor2 torisa
>> Removing zaptel module:                                    [  OK  ]
>> Running ztcfg:  Notice: Configuration file is /etc/zaptel.conf
>> line 0: Unable to open master device '/dev/zap/ctl'
>>
>> 1 error(s) detected
>

> Did you reboot after creating the 60- file in /etc/udev/rules?

I rebooted numerous times, the zaptel init would fail no matter what
until I added the sleep 30 to the start section.  I'm guessing because
udev is taking too long to create the device files, a smaller sleep
would probably work but I want to play it extra safe.  It also was
tossing a bunch of errors on reboot/poweroff (kernel panics after the
logger shutoff) but I think thats because it doesn't force the module
unload with the changes they suggest for 2.6 kernel + udev, I fixed this
by adjusting the order of service shutdowns.

Its pretty annoying, I think I may build my next asterisk production box
on debian stable or gentoo with a 2.4 kernel for simplicity and
stability.  This is only an interim box and I just need it to work for a
few weeks while I build the new dual span box at my new office.  I'd
reccomend against using FC3 in production for the time being. (Until
there is better documentation for all the udev stuff)

-Ryan