[Asterisk-Users] How can i test a modem with Asterisk?

Fabrício Zimmerer Murta avenger at buynet.com.br
Tue Dec 14 19:24:14 MST 2004

Oh, friend... I have realised just yesterday that's impossible to use
regular modems (say hayes/v90 33.6 or 56k) to plug asterisk to the world. I
can't figure out why. But they simply don't support it.
  If you want to use your isdn modem to plug * to the world, it's OK.
Else... Only just one modem kind is supported and, surprisingly it's a
winmodem, from Intel. It's Intel 537 w/ chipset MD32000. That's the sole
only modem supported to be used as a * node to link to the PSTN (telco) and
start to make calls from within the VoIP network (or whatever that passes
throught asterisk).
  I'm thinking in sending a mail for asking WHY THE HELL they can't support
bare modems, even if they have voice support (I have an USR w/ voice, 56k
and ISA kind, and I simply can't use it for testing an * box).
  Also, I think that with that computer you can gladly test you *
implementation as long as you don't use much concurrent connections.

- Fabrício