[Asterisk-Users] Re: Ethernet Channel Bank idea

Gary gary at ausmail.com
Sun Dec 12 18:56:56 MST 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 06:22:14 -0500 (EST), Greg Boehnlein wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, nik martin wrote:
>
>> news.gmane.org wrote:
>> > Allied Telesyn VoIP Access Device
>> > http://www.alliedtelesyn.co.uk/site/files/documents/datasheet/VP624FXS_euro.pdf
>> >

>> > This is a 24-port FXS 1u device, conveniently presented as a single
>> > RJ-21 TELCO connector.
>>
>> yeah, but those are expensive as crap.  i was thinking about something
>> more competetive with a channel bank
>
>You know, if someone had some time on their hands, was good at
>hardware/software hacking and had the will, the old Livingston/Lucent PM3
>platform would make an awesome 48 port IAX2 <-> PRI/T1 channel bank.
>
>Basically, the PM3 has 2 T1 ports that can be configured for ISDN PRI. The
>core of the system runs on an AMD x86 CPU. The plug in Modem cards have
>Lucent DSP's on them (up to 50 in a box). Flash size is 4 megs, and RAM is
>usually around 4 megs. That is still quite a bit of horsepower, and the
>boxes are under $400 now.
>
>The DSP's could be used for Codec Translation, if neccessary, or for echo
>cancellation.
>
>And, we can get access to the original Lucent ComOS Source code.
>
>Anyone game? :)

It is not such a dumb idea !!

I am using The ericsson tigris platform for our few remaining PRI's for
our
dialup pools. We are currently hanging asterisk off these using drop &
insert
(both ways)... Now if we could actually get some code to get the voip
working to/from asterisk we could do away the the PRI cards....

Gary
.