[Asterisk-Users] Re: Ethernet Channel Bank idea

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sun Dec 12 04:22:14 MST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, nik martin wrote:

> news.gmane.org wrote:
> > Allied Telesyn VoIP Access Device
> > http://www.alliedtelesyn.co.uk/site/files/documents/datasheet/VP624FXS_euro.pdf
> >

> > This is a 24-port FXS 1u device, conveniently presented as a single
> > RJ-21 TELCO connector.
>
> yeah, but those are expensive as crap.  i was thinking about something
> more competetive with a channel bank

You know, if someone had some time on their hands, was good at
hardware/software hacking and had the will, the old Livingston/Lucent PM3
platform would make an awesome 48 port IAX2 <-> PRI/T1 channel bank.

Basically, the PM3 has 2 T1 ports that can be configured for ISDN PRI. The
core of the system runs on an AMD x86 CPU. The plug in Modem cards have
Lucent DSP's on them (up to 50 in a box). Flash size is 4 megs, and RAM is
usually around 4 megs. That is still quite a bit of horsepower, and the
boxes are under $400 now.

The DSP's could be used for Codec Translation, if neccessary, or for echo
cancellation.

And, we can get access to the original Lucent ComOS Source code.

Anyone game? :)

                             KP-216-121-ST