[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 1.0.1 Too many open files

Andy Powell andy at beagles-den.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 11 05:00:28 MST 2004

On 09/12/2004 at 09:22 Eric wrote:

>Hi Sean,
>
>Thanks for your reply, but that wasn't exactly what I was getting at.
>
>I don't need to increase the system's imposed limit on the number of
>open files.  I'm more concerned to see if anyone has run across a
>memory or fd leak in asterisk that sucks them all up.
>
>There should be no reason that I hit my limit of open files on this
>machine.  Restarting asterisk immediately solved the problem, so
>I'm leaning towards a leak, however, I didn't have the opportunity,
>in the moment, to check and see how many files and what type were
>open.
>

>- Eric

I'm pretty sure that it's a leak, if I recount a problem I have (had) when trying to register with FWD is should make it obvious.

About a week or two ago I started having problems with registering with FWD using SIP, the request was sent but there was never a reply. Indeed a traceroute showed a problem at peer1.net (this is still the case). I noticed that after a few hours I was getting the same errors as you. A restart of asterisk cured the problem temporarily until a few hours later, when it reappeared.

incidentally I 'fixed' the issue by using an iax2 connection to fwd instead...

Andy